Wednesday 19 May 2010

The Triumphant Return To School

I have now been back at school a full week. Still, I just do not feel right. Chicken Pox really does take it out of your body and I do feel very drained. I can tell I have been ill. I know that sounds silly, but if you have Chicken Pox, you will know what I mean a week later. I cannot help but think maybe I went back to school a bit too early – maybe instead of going back on the Wednesday I should have left it until the beginning of the following week. I went back to school as soon as I was no longer contagious, as a responsible person would. However, I don’t think my body had time to recover and get over it all. It is quite a big shock to the system. Anyone who has had a computer virus will know that a computer will be fine, then all-of-a-sudden... BAM! Now the computer doesn’t know what to do, it is beginning to panic. It was so unexpected. Now, I’m not a doctor, but I assume there is a loose connection there somewhere.

I am not particularly sure what I was expecting on my first day back at school. Without trying to sound like I am trying write a speech for JD to say at the end of a Scrubs episode; after being ill for such a long time and being home, alone and away from the people you care about, you plan in your mind how glorious it will be to be reunited. I over thought everything I fear. I was not expecting balloons and banners saying ‘Welcome Back’ on them, because I would have hated that, but it did not live up to the expectations I had hoped for. The thought of being back with my friends did, in a way (and I am honestly trying to not sound cheesy), did help me through the times when I felt low while sitting at home, reading status updates from them implying they were having fun without me.

My return was okay. I got hugs and people told me they missed me. My classmates asked numerous questions, with the main one being ‘Are you contagious still?’ – not thinking about me, but themselves. I got asked by teachers if ‘I was allowed back yet’. I got given plenty of work to catch up on. I sat in a room full of obnoxious, loud-mouth sports academy students who sit and watch the same, unfunny American comedy every day, and still fall about in annoying laughter. I sat quietly at the same table, listening to the latest gossip. To be honest, my first day back at school was like any other normal day at school. My return was not important.

I have spent 5 days at school now. I have been to all my lessons and now realising the true extent to my 7 days off school. With exams looming pretty darn quick, taking a week and a half out of school was not a clever thing to do. I have a crazy amount of work to catch up on, but then on the other hand, thanks to me missing my photography exam, I only have a fraction on the work I should. The past two weeks I should have been rushing around making sure I had everything all set up and finished after my exam, and making sure the exhibition would be up to standards. Now, I have no need to worry about any of that – until next year.

That is assuming I can do Photography next year, because I was expecting as part of my ‘welcomed’ return to school, the teachers would be very helpful in getting everything set up. A week later and I am still waiting to find out what the final outcome will be for missing my photography exam, and seeing as teachers do not seem keen on helping me now, I still do now know anything. I want to know if I can stay on another year and retake my Photography. I want to know if I can postpone my ICT coursework, so I have another year to get it to the highest level. I want to know if I can retake English, and I also want to know if I am even allowed to stay on another year. It seems like I have annoyed my teachers by getting Chicken Pox and taking an unprecedented 7 days off school as a results.

I am still in ore at how much my life has changed, ‘thanks’ to Chicken Pox. University held back a year and instead having to spend another year at school. Yes, the place where I am beginning to hate being, I have to stay at another year. I was looking forward to the fact that in under 2 months, I would never have to return to school. Now, I have to wait another 13 months until I get that pleasure. The phrase ‘Life’s a bitch’ has never been more appropriate in my life.

I am glad to be back though. I am healing very well and my skin has never looked clearer. Somehow, getting Chicken Pox has in some way healed my back acne. How long that will last I do not know, but I am comforted by the fact that I have not got scabs and spots on my face. I think it will not be long until I post my final blog entry on here when I am fully healed. I am only left with a few scabs on my body, but will be left with numerous scabs I fear. Not to worry – we all need some war wounds...

Ciao For Now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.